Animal/Pet License and Renewal

Dog Licensing and Owner Responsibilities
All dogs are required to be licensed in the city and they must be up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations before a license can be issued. Licensing provides the city with a method of ensuring that dogs are properly vaccinated against rabies. Additionally, dog owners receive a great value because tag information can help identify a lost dog.

There are two options for licensing your dog: a Lifetime License or a Two Year License (pro-rated). The license application can be downloaded below and mailed to City Hall. License applications are also available at reception desk at City Hall.

If a ticket is issued for an unlicensed dog, there is an enforcement fee of $25 in addition to the regular license. Dogs are required to be leashed or confined. Dogs running at large are subject to ticket and impoundment.

Urban Chicken Permit & Renewal
An Urban Chicken Permit is granted for one year from the date of Planning Commission approval. A Renewal Permit is required every year after the initial approval when chickens are kept on an approved urban residential lot. The permit packet below details the requirements to obtain a permit to keep chickens on certain urban residential lots.

Corresponding City Code


Responsible Pet Ownership

Keep Dogs on a Leash

Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when not on the owner's property. Dogs cannot run unrestrained anywhere in the community except on the owner's private property or someone else's private property with permission. Even well behaved dogs should be on a leash no longer than six feet.

There are several dog parks in the metro area. Visit Barks and Recreation: Twin Cities.

Disposal of Dog Waste
Owners must dispose of all dog waste and must have disposal equipment (scooper and baggies) in their possession at all times when walking dogs on public property such as parks, playgrounds, trails and streets. When pet waste is not picked up, rain washes the waste and bacteria into our storm drains and then pollutes our waterway. Dispose of pet waste properly, preferably in the toilet. Then it gets "treated" as it should.

Barking Dogs
If a barking dog is disturbing the peace, the owner is subject to being ticketed. If a dog's barking has created neighborhood tension, it might be a good idea to discuss the problem with your neighbor. It's perfectly reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make loud noise when they play outside. However, continual barking for long periods of time is a sign that the dog has a problem that needs to be addressed. Any dog violation may be reported to the Police Department at 651-280-6700 at any time of the day or night. In order to issue a ticket the officer must witness the violation and the offender is generally given a warning.

Dog Bites and Dangerous Dogs
Dog bites must be reported to the Police Department. The dog owner is required to show proof of rabies vaccination. In the event the dog bites a second time or demonstrates a propensity to attack, the dog may be declared a Dangerous Dog by the Police Department.

A dog declared dangerous is required to meet a number of very strict requirements including confinement, insurance, and signage. For more complete information contact the Police Department at 651-280-6700.

City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Civiclive.