Register to Vote

You will need to register anytime you move, change your name, or if you haven't voted in the last four years. Registration applications are available at:

State, County or City offices
Dakota County Treasurer's Office
c/o Elections
1590 Highway 55
Hastings, MN 55033

Farmington City Hall
430 Third Street
Farmington, MN 55024

Print a Voter Registration Application here.

Where you apply for, renew, or change your Minnesota driver's license or ID card. You can register online or download a registration application or check your registration at the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Office.   

NOTE:  The address on your driver's license should be where you live, NOT where you work or where you pick up your mail.  Where you vote depends on where your house is physically located and that is the address you need to register under.  Commercial addresses will not be accepted.


Pre-registration for the 2022 Primary Election ends July 19, 2022.
Pre-registration for the 2022 General Election ends Oct. 18, 2022.

Election Day Registration

You may also register at the polling place on election day with any one of the following items as proof of identity allowed by state law:

  • A current Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, or receipt for either one that has your current address in that precinct.

  • Minnesota identification card (issued instead of a driver's license by the MN Dept. of Public Safety) or receipt that has your current address in that precinct.

  • Student photo ID card, registration or fee statement with the student's current address in the precinct, or only the student photo ID if they are on a student housing list on file at the polling place.

  • “Notice of Late Registration” received from Dakota County if your registration application was received after the last day to pre-register.

  • Prior registration in the same precinct at another address. This applies only if the voter has moved within the same precinct.

  • Combination photo ID with a current utility bill. The photo ID must be either a MN Driver's License, MN ID Card, US Passport, US Military Photo ID or MN College ID. For tribal band members living on an Indian reservation, an identification card containing name, address, signature and photo, issued by a tribal government recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, is sufficient. Acceptable utility bills are: cable TV, electric, gas, phone (including cell phone) solid waste, water, sewer, internet, or mortgage statement, or lease/rental statement or agreement. The utility bill must show the voter's name and current address in the precinct and the due date must be within 30 days before or after the election.

  • A registered voter living in your precinct who will accompany you to the polling location and who will vouch for your residency.

Questions? Call 651-280-6803 or email the City Clerk at [email protected].

City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Intrado Corporation.