Police FAQs


You should call 911 for any request for police response. In Dakota County, 911 is no longer reserved exclusively for emergencies. For administrative requests, call 651-280-6700 during normal business hours.

City Code and Ordinance FAQs

How do I find information about city codes, ordinances, and policies?

The Farmington City Code is a huge compilation of laws (ordinances), and policies that have been adopted since 1872, when the city was incorporated. The city provides web access to the City Code Book, which is continually updated to reflect current Farmington City Council policies. The most recent ordinances are listed in the "pending" link before they are incorporated into the final copy. Before undertaking any action based on the specific content of this site, check with city hall at 651-280-6800 for the most current information.

What are my dog owner responsibilities? I found a lost dog, what should I do?

Dog Licenses are required
All dogs are required to be licensed in the city and they must be up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations before a license can be issued. Licenses are available at reception desk at city hall. Application can be downloaded below and mailed to city hall.

If a ticket is issued for an unlicensed dog, there is an enforcement fee of $25 in addition to the regular license. Dogs are required to be leashed or confined. Dogs running at large are subject to ticket and impoundment.

Keep Dogs on a Leash

Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when not on the owner's property. Dogs cannot run unrestrained anywhere in the community except on the owner's private property or someone else's private property with permission. Even well behaved dogs should be on a leash no longer than six feet.

There are several dog parks in the metro area. Visit Barks and Recreation: Twin Cities.

Disposal of Dog Waste
Owners must dispose of all dog waste and must have disposal equipment (scooper and baggies) in their possession at all times when walking dogs on public property such as parks, playgrounds, trails and streets. When pet waste is not picked up, rain washes the waste and bacteria into our storm drains and then pollutes our waterway. Dispose of pet waste properly, preferably in the toilet. Then it gets "treated" as it should.

Barking Dogs
If a barking dog is disturbing the peace, the owner is subject to being ticketed. If a dog's barking has created neighborhood tension, it might be a good idea to discuss the problem with your neighbor. It's perfectly reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make loud noise when they play outside. However, continual barking for long periods of time is a sign that the dog has a problem that needs to be addressed. Any dog violation may be reported to the Police Department at 651-280-6700 at any time of the day or night. In order to issue a ticket the officer must witness the violation and the offender is generally given a warning.

Dog Bites and Dangerous Dogs
Dog bites must be reported to the Police Department. The dog owner is required to show proof of rabies vaccination or the dog must be impounded for 10 days. In the event the dog bites a second time or demonstrates a propensity to attack, the dog may be declared a Dangerous Dog by the Police Department.

A dog declared Dangerous is required to meet a number of very strict requirements including confinement, insurance and signage. For more complete information contact the Police Department at 651-280-6700.

I found a lost dog, what should I do?

Please call 9-1-1 and an officer will pick up the dog and take care of assisting with returning the dog to his/her home.

Where can I hunt in Farmington?

The City of Farmington's city ordinances prohibit the discharge of firearms within 1,000 feet of the city's urban service area. The areas that are highlighted on the hunting areas map fall within those parameters.

Where are predatory offender locations and ordinances?

The Farmington City Code includes restrictions on sexual offender residence locations. View the information sexual offender residence location restrictions and the location map

Filing and Receiving Reports FAQs

How do I get a copy of an accident report?

If you were involved in an accident in the City of Farmington and the Farmington Police Department was called to the scene, an officer may have completed a State Accident Report if the accident met certain guidelines. This report is usually available within two business days, and to provide the best customer service possible we will mail a copy of the completed report to each driver as soon as it is ready.

How do I request a police report?

Request Police Reports (data requests)
Data request - public
Data request - subject

Requests may take up to 10 business days to process.

To submit your request, you can:

  1. Email your request to [email protected].
  2. Mail your request to Farmington Police Department Attn: Records Request 19500 Municipal Drive, Farmington, MN 55024
  3. Drop-off your request in person during Farmington Police Department lobby hours

Farmington Police Department Lobby Hours
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. to noon

How do I file a complaint against an officer?

To file a complaint against a police officer, please complete this form in its entirety and return it to the Farmington Police Department: Officer Complaint Form. Please be sure to sign the complaint and be as specific as possible.

Who should I contact about vandalism in city parks?

Most of the time, no one witnesses the damage being done. However, sometimes people see what is going on and take no action.

If you witness damage being done to a city park, please call 911 immediately. The sooner the Police Department is notified, the greater the likelihood the perpetrator will be caught. Remember, a squad could be right around the corner!

If you notice damage has already been done to a city park, please report it using Farmington Fix

Each year, damage costs taxpayers thousands of dollars in materials and labor.

State and County Regulations and Information FAQs

Are fireworks allowed in Farmington?

The only fireworks that are legal in the State of Minnesota are non-explosive and non-aerial (such as sparklers, cones, and tubes that sparkle, snakes, and party poppers). Any fireworks that explode leave the ground, or shoot anything other than sparks into the air are illegal. You must be 18 years old to purchase fireworks and fireworks are not permitted on public property.

Visit the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension's website for information regarding the Permit to Carry.

How do I get a permit to purchase a handgun?

The Minnesota Uniform Firearm Permit to Purchase/Transfer a handgun application is available at the Police Department and can also be downloaded below. Keep in mind that each applicant must turn their application in person and produce their driver’s license showing a valid City of Farmington address. Please make sure that you live within the city and don’t simply have a Farmington mailing address before applying. Applications take up to a week to process and there is no charge for a permit to purchase.

If you would like to apply for a permit to carry a handgun, go to Dakota County Sheriff's Department Permit to Carry page.

What is the juvenile curfew ordinance?

It is unlawful for any juvenile age 17 years and under to be present in any public place within Dakota County between the hours listed below. If you have any questions regarding the curfew ordinance and the possible exceptions, please contact the Farmington Police Department or the Dakota County Attorney's Office.

Dakota County Juvenile Curfew Ordinance

Under 12 years of age

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

9 p.m. - 5 a.m.

10 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Age 12-14

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

10 p.m. - 5 a.m.

11 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Age 15-17

Sunday - Thursday

Friday & Saturday

11 p.m. - 5 a.m.

Midnight - 5 a.m.

Where can I dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medications?

Over-the-counter medications and prescriptions can pollute our waters and be harmful to humans, fish, and other wildlife when disposed of improperly – please do not flush medications down the toilet or place in the trash.
The Dakota County Sheriff, Attorney, and Environmental Management Offices, along with their law enforcement partners, have teamed together to offer the public a place to safely and anonymously dispose of medications in disposal receptacles.
Take prescription and over-the-counter medications to select law enforcement drop-off locations in Dakota County to safely and anonymously dispose of them. Medicines from households are accepted in any form, including prescription, over-the-counter, and pet medications.

Disposal receptacles are at the following locations:

Burnsville Police Department
100 Civic Center Parkway, Burnsville
Farmington Police Department
Receptacle location in the lobby; open M-F from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
19500 Municipal Drive, Farmington
Hastings Sheriff’s Office
Drive-Up Location in Front of Law Enforcement Center
1580 Highway 55, Hastings
West St. Paul Police Department
1616 Humboldt Avenue, West St. Paul

If you have questions regarding disposal after 4:30 p.m. and on weekends, please call Dakota911 (formerly Dakota Communications Center) at 952-322-2323 or 651-322-2323.
The items below are NOT accepted
• Needles and sharps
• Fever thermometers
These items are accepted for free, environmentally safe disposal at:
The Recycling Zone
3365 Dodd Road, Eagan
City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.