Special Licenses

Block Parties

An application for a block party license may be obtained from the Police Department and is required for residential outdoor gatherings of 50 or more people which may/may not include outdoor music. Money cannot be exchanged for alcohol. Activities must be shut down by 11 p.m. Barricades are not provided. If tents 200 square feet or larger are used, a tent permit from the Fire Department is required. Tent permit $40/occasion. There is no fee for the block party permit. 
Fill out the form completely and return to the Farmington Police Department:

Block Party Application

Peddlers, Solicitors, and Transient Merchant Applications

Current List of Licensed Peddlers-Solicitors-Transient Merchants

Peddlers, Solicitors, and Transient Merchants are allowed in Farmington with a license/registration. See City Code 3-18-22 for more information.

Complete and submit the application to the Farmington Police Department:

Peddler, Solicitor, and Transient Merchant Permit

Instructions for submitting permit:

  • Applications MUST be submitted to the Farmington Police Department (not accepted at City Hall).
  • Each applicant must PERSONALLY turn in his or her application (do not submit payment with application).
  • Each applicant MUST provide a valid photo ID (for peddler, solicitor and transient merchant permit applications).
  • Applications will only be accepted Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
  • Large groups (4 or more) REQUIRE an appointment. Walk-in groups not accepted. Contact 651-280-6700 to schedule your appointment.

After the background check(s) are run, approved applications will be forwarded to City Hall, and applicants will be contacted via phone or email, as provided on the application. Approved applicants will pay the fee and pick up the permit at City Hall. Cash or check only, credit cards not accepted.

The City of Farmington does not endorse any specific product or service by issuance of a license.

Applicants may apply for either an annual license (12 months) or six (6) month license; however, all licenses expire on December 31 of the current year. 

Farmington Police Department
19500 Municipal Drive
Farmington, MN 55024

Frequently Asked Questions

Which license do I need?

Peddler - Any person with no fixed place of business who goes from house to house, from place to place, or from street to street, carrying or transporting goods, wares or merchandise and offering or exposing the same for sale, or making sales and deliveries to purchasers.

Solicitor - Any person who goes from house to house, from place to place, or from street to street, soliciting or taking or attempting to take orders for any goods, wares or merchandise, including books, periodicals, magazines, or personal property of any nature whatsoever for future delivery.

Transient Merchant - Any person, firm or corporation who engages temporarily in the business of selling or delivering goods, wares or merchandise within the city and, who, in furtherance of such purpose, hires, leases, uses or occupies any building, structure, vacant lot, motor vehicle, trailer, or railroad car.

If the seller is putting flyers on the doors or in paper boxes and not making contact with residents, a permit is not needed.

Non-profit groups: No license is needed, but the Police Department does need a list of vehicles being used and their license plate numbers.

When is a block party license needed?

A license is required if a public street is being blocked off. If someone is having a party with a band outside but not closing off a street, a permit may be suggested because of noise, depending on the number of people expected and hours. All events are to be shut down by 11:00 p.m. No money can be exchanged for alcohol.

What is the cost of a license?

Peddlers / Solicitors / Transient Merchants:
$65 per person for one year
$45 per person for up to six (6) months

Non-profit groups: No license is needed, but the Police Department does need a list of vehicles being used and their license plate numbers.

All licenses expire on December 31 of the current year.

How long does it take before approval?

Approximately one to two weeks.

Is insurance required?

No insurance is required.
City of Farmington | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2023 Civiclive.